You don’t have to go to Los Angeles to feel what does it mean Beverly Hills charm!
Especially if you live in Europe – just take a plane and go to Andalusia, where on Atlantic Coast you will find small town El Puerto de Santa Maria (called by locals simply El Puerto). Book accomodation in Vistahermosa or Las Redes district and feel like in Beverly Hills or even better!
Typical architecture of low white, bright buildings, very similar vegetation (subtropical climate with ocean influences both in Los Angeles and in El Puerto) and relaxing atmosphere will make you feel like american star! 😉
Why El Puerto is better than Beverly Hills? 😉
- because it’s cheaper,
- compared to Beverly Hills, Vistahermosa or Las Redes districts has direct access to the beach,
- because of the rich history of El Puerto.
Above all, El Puerto is just perfect destination for “Slow Travels” holidays on Andalusian coast. This adorable town on Costa de la Luz has beautiful, wide and gold-sandy beaches and it’s popular spot for domestic middle-class tourism. Apart from Spaniards, you will not find drunken tourists from Great Britain here.
But for me the most exciting thing about El Puerto de Santa María is the fact, that Christopher Columbus second expedition to the Americas in 1493 set sail from this town!
It was also in El Puerto, in 1500, that his pilot Juan de la Cosa drew first world map including the coast of New World. What an amazing story! Although this part of the history is full of tragic events, I love to talk about Age of Discovery. More than 500 years ago El Puerto was full of open minds eager to discover the unknown.
And how about you? Do you like to explore the unknown and exceed your horizon?
Me, I can sit for hours on the beach, stare at the horizon on the Atlantic Ocean and make plans to overcome my own borders in the near future. I imagine the boat of Christopher Columbus dissapearing somewhere far and I feel excited for my own future. Among others, that’s probably why I liked El Puerto so much and I want to come back there every summer. But coming back on Earth, find below my few recomendations for planning great stay in this adorable town.
What to do in El Puerto:
- run or walk on the Playa de Vistahermosa,
- bath in the Atlantic Ocean,
- eat tapas, lunch or dinner and drink Tinto de verano, Gin&Tonic or Vermouth in “chiringuito” – typical Andalusian bar on the beach. My favoutite one is “Restaurante Beach Club“,
- visit the local market in the morning, eat outstanding olives from local venders and have typical spanish breakfast in the surrounding bars – churros con chocolate or tostada de tomate y jamón,
- visit Puerto Sherry for its restaurants, bars (PhiPhi Beach), marine atmosphere and nice walking paths,
- visit bodegas like Bodegas Grant or Gutierrez Colosia (before read my post about best andalusian wines),
- eat ice cream in Heladeria da Massimo,
- eat dinner in the historic center – fried Merluza in breadcrumbs in Casa Paco Ceballos or sea food in La Esquinita,
- siesta every day after lunch!
What to say, this is my place in Andalusia!
P.S. After all, if you still dream about California and Beverly Hills 😉 read my post how to buy cheap flight tickets for intercontinental flights. Good luck!